Position: Associate Professor
Research interest: Soil microbial interaction and metal resistome
2008-2013 Ph.D. in Microbiology, Northwest A&F University, China
2010-2012 Research fellow (Ph.D.), University of Arizona/ RTI International, USA
2004-2008 B.S. in Pharmaceutical Engineering, Northwest A&F University, China
Employments and Visits
07/2018-present Associate professor, Huazhong Agriculture University
03/2016-04/2018 Post-doctoral Research Fellow, Department of Plant and Environmental Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Danmark
12/2013-03/2016 Post-doctoral Research Fellow, Institute of Urban Environment, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Xiamen, China
● Bacterial metal resistance mechanisms and their interaction with amoeba
Elucidating the mechanisms of Cu/Zn homeostasis and adaptive responses in plant growth promoting bacteria through multiple analysis of mutagenesis, transcriptome, proteome, and phenotype.
Elucidating the roles of Cu on the killing of invading bacteria by bacteria-grazing amoeba, and the impacts of bacterial copper resistance determinants in virulence.
● Fungi-bacteria interaction
Elucidating the structure and functional profiling of hyphae-associated microbial communities attracted by different Penicillium species using illuminar16S rRNA amplicon sequencing and High-throughput real-time PCR.
Project principal investigator
1. National Natural Science Foundation of China (41877330): Impacts of protozoan grazing on copper-resistant bacterial community in copper-contaminated soil at the aggregate level, 2019-2022
2. Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities, China (2662018QD065): Selection of copper-resistant bacterial community by protozoan grazing, 2018-2021
3. National Natural Science Foundation of China (41503076): A systems view of Mesorhizobium strategies from copper shock to adapted populations, 2016-2018.
4. China Postdoctoral Science Foundation (2014M551845): Proteomics view of Mesorhizobium amophae response to copper stress , 2014-2015.
1. Zhang Y#, Hao X#, Garcia-Lemos AM, Nunes I, Nicolaisen MH, Nybroe O. Soil fertilization has different effects on bacterial community composition in the Penicillium canescens hyphosphere and in bulk soil. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2020: 02969-19
2. Hao X, Zhu YG, Nybroe O, Nicolaisen MH. The composition and phosphorus cycling potential of bacterial communities associated with hyphae of Penicillium in soil are strongly affected by soil origin. Front Microbiol. 2020. 10:2951.
3. Hao X#, Li X#, Pal C#, Hobman J, Larsson DJ, Saquib Q, Alwathnani HA, Rosen BP, Zhu YG* and Rensing C*. Bacterial resistance to arsenic protects against protist killing. BioMetals. 2017. 30 (2): 307-311.
4. Zheng BX#, Hao X#, Ding K, Zhou GW, Chen QL, Zhang JB* & Zhu YG*. Long-term nitrogen fertilization decreased the abundance of inorganic phosphate solubilizing bacteria in an alkaline soil. Scientific Reports. 2017. 7: 42284.
5. Rønn R#, Hao X#, Lüthje F, German NA, Li XJ, Huang FY, Kisaka J, Huffman D, Alwathnani HA, Zhu YG and Rensing C*. Bacterial Survival in Dictyostelium. Bio-protocol. 2017. 7 (13). (peer-reviewed e-journal, invited by editor)
6. Hao X, Lüthje F, Rønn R, German NA, Li XJ, Huang FY, Kisaka J, Huffman D, Alwathnani HA, Zhu YG* and Rensing C*. A role for copper in protozoan grazing–two billion years selecting for bacterial copper resistance. Molecular Microbiology. 2016. 102(4): 628-641.
7. Hao X, Xie P, Zhu YG, Taghavi S, Wei G*, Rensing C*. Copper tolerance mechanisms of Mesorhizobium amorphae and its role in aiding phytostabilization by Robinia pseudoacacia in copper contaminated soil. Environmental Science & Technology. 2015. 49 (4): 2328-40.
8. Hao X, Lüthje FL, Qin Y, McDevitt SF, Lutay N, Hobman JL, Asiani K, Soncini FC, German N, Zhang SY, Zhu YG and Rensing C*. Survival in amoeba-a major selection pressure on the presence of bacterial copper and zinc resistance determinants? Identification of a "copper pathogenicity island". Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology. 2015. 99 (14): 5817-24.
9. Hao X, Mohamad O, Xie P, Rensing C, Wei G*. Removal of zinc by metal resistant symbiotic bacterium Mesorhizobium amorphae. Separation Science and Technology. 2014. 49 (3): 376-387.
10. Hao X, Taghavi S, Xie P, Orbach MJ, Alwathnani HA, Rensing C* and Wei G*. Phytoremediation of heavy and transition metals aided by legume-rhizobia symbiosis. International Journal of Phytoremediation. 2014. 16 (2): 179-202.
11. Hao X, Xie P, Johnstone L, Miller SJ, Rensing C* and Wei G*. Genome sequence and mutational analysis of plant-growth-promoting bacterium Agrobacterium tumefaciens CCNWGS0286 isolated from a zinc-lead mine tailing. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 2012. 78 (15): 5384-5394.
12. Hao X, Lin Y, Johnstone L, Baltrus DA, Miller SJ, Wei G* and Rensing C*. Draft genome sequence of plant growth-promoting rhizobium Mesorhizobium amorphae, isolated from zinc-lead mine tailings. Journal of Bacteriology. 2012. 194 (3): 736-7.
13. Hao X, Lin Y, Johnstone L, Liu G, Wang G, Wei G, McDermott T* and Rensing C*. Genome Sequence of the Arsenite-Oxidizing Strain Agrobacterium tumefaciens 5A. Journal of Bacteriology. 2012. 194 (4): 903.
14. Mohamad O#, Hao X#, Xie P, Hatab S, Lin Y, Wei G*. Biosorption of copper (II) from aqueous solution using non-living Mesorhizobium amorphae strain CCNWGS0123. Microbes and Environments. 2012. 27 (3): 234-241.